Deadline: July 12, 2020
Applications are opens for hot job from UNRISD - UNRISD is hiring a Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant. The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) seeks an outstanding researcher to lead their new programme of work on Gender Justice and Development.
The Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant will join a small team committed to producing high -quality research that contributes to the realization of equity and social justice in development policy and practice. Building on prior and ongoing research, she/he/they will lead the development of new research projects, identifying critical areas of co ncern for the UN system within the framework of the UNRISD Institutional Strategy.
Under the general supervision of the Director of UNRISD, the Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks:
- To conce ptualize, develop and manage the Institute’s research programme in the area of Gender Justice and Development, ensuring its integration within the UNRISD Institutional Strategy and research agenda.
- Within this progr amme, to create a portfolio of research and activities in three priority areas:
- (i) feminist perspectives on climate change
- (ii) gender, technologies and digital economies and
- (iii) anti-genderism and global governance.
- In all research and other activities, to seek to progress and promote an intersectional approach that could have wider benefits across the UN system.
- To identify research partners, organize meetings and conferences; supervise staff and consultants involved in research and activities; and ensure the quality of outputs produced.
- To produce high-quality publications, including articles in peer-reviewed journals and edited volumes, policy briefs, and other outputs for a range of audiences.
- To take the lead in mobilizing resources for the research p rogramme, and contribute to the fundraising activities of the Institute.
- To contribute to Institute-wide flagship publications, research programmes and special activities.
- To build and ma intain regular contacts within the United Nations system, governments, multilateral donors and the international research community.
- To act as the focal point for UNRISD in its engagement with the UN system on gender-rela ted issues.
- To provide policy advice and technical assistance, based on UNRISD research, to United Nations departments and agencies, national and local policy makers, civil society organizations, academic or other institu tions.
- To represent UNRISD in international meetings and academic conferences.
- To periodically report on progress to the Director, the UNRISD Board and donors.
- To carry out other activities as agreed within the Institute or assigned by the Director.
- Applicants should possess a Master 8217;s Degree in the social sciences, with a focus on gender and development. A PhD is strongly desirable.
- Have a minimum of eight years of experience in development research at an academic or research institution.
- Have a publication record in the field of gender equality, human rights and social development, and expertise in at least one of the priority areas for programme development (indicated under functions, above);
Have research experience in countries in the global South.
- Have experience in fundraising for social development research projects, project management, and team supervision (including on-location and remo te members).
- Be fluent in English with proven writing and editing skills; ability to work in other UN languages highly desirable.
- Professionalism: Must demonstrates professional competence as a researcher in the field of gender justice, human rights and social development.
- Communication: Must have excell ent oral communication and writing skills. Ability to communicate effectively with different target audiences regarding substantive issues.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational and project goals. Builds consensus for project objectives with colleagues.
- Leadership: Takes intellectual leadership in substantive areas of work and demonstrates good management skills.
- Judgement/Decision-Making: Identifies critical issues for research relevant to the work of the UN; develops appropriate research methods and analyses data, drawing policy recommendations aligned with the norms and objectives of the United N ations.
Short-listed applicants will be asked to submit relevant publications and carry out a written assignment before being notified if they have been selected for i nterview.
Click here to apply
For more information, visit UNRISD