TOP 10 STRONGRST CURRENCIES IN AFRICA 2019
Based on their exchange rate to the dollar and their purchasing power, the currencies below are the strongest in Africa.
1. Libyan Dinar (1$= 1.40 l.dinar) Based on its exchange rate to the dollar, the Libyan dinar is Africa’s strongest currency despite the fact that the country has been in shambles since Muammar Gaddafi was ousted in 2011 – One dollar currently exchanges for about 1.40 Libyan dinars.
2. Tunisian Dinar (1$ = 2.90 t.dinar) The Tunisian Dinar comes in after the Libyan Dinar as the second most valuable currency in Africa.
The exchange rate of this currency to the dollar is equivalent to 2.90 Tunisian dinars.
3. Ghanaian Cedis (1$ = 5.4 cedis) Ghana is the only West African country on this list.
One USD currently exchanges for 5.4 Ghanaian Cedis, making it the third most valuable currency on our list.
4. Moroccan Dirham (1$=9.6 Dirham) Morocco boasts one of the strongest currencies in Africa, with $1 currently exchanging for about 9.6 Moroccan dirham.
5. Zambian Kwacha (1$ = 12.55 kw) The kwacha is the official currency of Zambia. The exchange rate is currently 1USD for about 12.55 Zambian kwacha, making it one of the most valuable currencies in southern Africa alongside south Africa.
6. Botswana Pula (1$ = 10.7 pula) The pula is Botswana’s official currency, It currently exchanges for 10.7 Pula to every 1USD.
7. Seychelles Rupee (1$ = 13.66 scr) Surprisingly Seychelles’s currency is also among the top 10 strongest currencies in Africa. 1 United States Dollar currently exchanges for 13.66 Seychelles Rupee.
8. South African Rand (1$=14.04 ZAR) The rand is the official currency of South Africa. The rand is subdivided into 100 cents. The ISO 4217 code is ZAR, from Zuid-Afrikaanse rand; the ZA is a historical relic from Dutch and is not used in any current context except the country abbreviation, where it is used because “SA” is allocated to Saudi Arabia.
Currently 1 United States Dollar exchanges for 14.04 South African Rand.
9. Namibian Dollars (1$ = 14.18 nad) The Namibian dollar has been the currency of Namibia since 1993. It is normally abbreviated with the dollar sign $, or alternatively N$ to distinguish it from other dollar-denominated currencies.
Currently it exchanges to 14.18 nad to every 1USD.
10. Swaziland (1$=14.18 szl) The lilangeni is the currency of Swaziland. (The South African rand is also accepted in Swaziland).
Swaziland Lilangeni currently exchanges for 14.18 szl to every 1USD.